Simple Pressure Vessels
The Directive applies to simple pressure vessels manufactured in series. A ‘simple pressure vessel’ being any welded vessel subjected to an internal gauge pressure of greater than 0.5 bar intended to contain air or nitrogen which is not intended to be fired.
The Directive (87/404/EEC) has been replaced by the current Directive (2014/29/EU), which came into force on the 20th April 2016.
Parts and assemblies contributing to the vessels strength under pressure shall be made of;
– non-alloy quality steel,
– non-alloy aluminium,
– or non-age hardening aluminium alloys
The vessel shall be made of either;
– a cylindrical part of circular cross-section closed by inwardly dished and/or flat ends which revolve around the same axis as the cylindrical parts
– two dished ends revolving around the same axis.
The maximum working pressure of the vessel shall not exceed 30 Bar and the product of the pressure and capacity shall (Ps xV) not exceed 10,000 bar.l.
The working temperatures shall be in the ranges of;
– -50°C – 300°C for steel
– -50°C – 100°C for aluminium or aluminium alloy vessels
The following vessels are not included in the scope of the Directive;
– vessels specifically designed for nuclear use, failure of which may cause an emission of radioactivity,
– vessels specifically intended for installation in or the propulsion of ships,
– fire extinguishers.
In order for vessels to be put on the market they must not compromise the safety of persons, domestic animals or property when properly installed and maintained. The Route followed to conformity and requirements of the Directive vary with the value of the product of Ps x V.
– If Ps x V exceeds 50 then the product must meet the essential safety requirements of the directive as found in Annex I of the Directive. These products will require the involvement of an approved inspection body.
– If Ps x V is 50 or less must be manufactured with sound engineering practice and bear the markings as described in point one of Annex II of the Directive.
How we can help:
The CE Marking Association can assist manufacturers, importers and users of simple pressure vessels by offering a range of services to meet your needs. Here are some of the services on offer:
- Technical file compilation
- Consultancy advice on related Directives
For more support on CE Marking under the Simple Pressure Vessels Directive, or to find out how we can help you, please call us on 01564 792349, or please complete our online enquiry form.